Tuesday, January 15, 2008

BIY, Bike-It-Yourself: Living Carfree, It Isn't As Crazy As It Sounds


I owned a car from the time I was 15, in 1985, until December 2, 2006. On that day an SUV driver over-estimated the abilities of his vehicle on a downhill slope during the first snowfall of the year. He ran a stop sign and was headed right for me. I swerved to avoid being t-boned and possibly killed, and ran into a tree instead. The car was totaled. Had I not been on the way to an important doctor’s appointment, I would not have even been on the road. I’m glad to be alive and without serious injury. But so it came to be that I have been “car-free” for just about one year now.

To be fair, I’m really “car-lite” rather than “car-free.” I still rent or borrow cars for long distances or heavy loads, and I’m a member of Community Car. But for trips of less than 5 miles that do not involve moving a drum kit, I typically bike, walk, or take the bus now. more here

1 comments:

clintpatty said...

I like being car free, but I think I'm going to keep my station wagon with me wherever I move. The option to take it when I have a large sprawled out load that wouldn't fit in a trailer or over 500lbs to carry is really nice. Hopefully I wouldn't end up using it on lazy or rainy days.