Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Why I bicycle on the sidewalk facing traffic



From The Examiner


Ed Wagner wrote an article entitled “Why do they do that? Wrong way riders”. In the article Wagner lambastes cyclists who ride on sidewalks and ride facing vehicular traffic as opposed to riding with vehicular traffic. I ride with traffic and I also ride against traffic. I tend to ride on sidewalks whenever I can. I rarely see pedestrians on the sidewalks but when I do I always move off the sidewalk onto the roadway or off onto the grass so as to give the walking pedestrian plenty of room.

I decide how to ride according to conditions. I prefer to ride on the sidewalks facing traffic. There have been numerous times I have seen a car in the distance approaching me as the car is weaving erratically as the driver is obviously intoxicated. I know some of these drunk drivers would of hit me if I had been riding with traffic but by facing traffic I can see the cell phone texters not paying attention and the inebriated drivers BEFORE they would of hit me.

Mr. Wagner states that “...let's be very clear - bicyclists fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles.

read more here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Article wrong on a lot. First 2 commentators have it correct.

Anonymous said...

BRAVO, BRAVO!

Stay Alive, and when the Oil is all gone [for the US] 4 years from now, we can all ride on the street

YOUR LIFE IS MORE VALUABLE THEN ANOTHER MAN'S IDEAL.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wagner states that “...let's be very clear - bicyclists fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles.

THIS IS INSANE!!

A CAR IS 2,000 TO 7,000 lbs AND HAS THE FORCE TO KILL AND MAINE

A CAR HAS, BELTS, AIR BAGS AND CRUMBLE ZONES.

ON A BIKE YOUR "CRUMBLE ZONE" IS YOUR OWN PERSON

IF YOU GET HIT, YOU PUT YOURSELF IN A POSTION TO "GET HIT"

THE LAW WILL NOT PROTECT YOU, YOU MUST TAKE RESPONSABILTY FOR YOUR OWN LIFE