Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bicycle Friendly Pipe Dream ?

From T Cozy

What a busy week! It was the home stretch of the work I needed to do for my new website. I barely left the house so that I could finish designing the last of the site's 24 pages and get them off to Dave who is doing the production of my site. (A few more weeks, and I hope to have it up and running.) And what a lovely week of weather we had, too. So even though I was confined to my studio, I made sure to have my windows open wide to enjoy the fresh, cool air.

When I did need to go out for an errand or two, I hopped on my bike instead of using the car. Luckily the post office, bank and a small neighborhood market are just down the street. It felt good to break up the busy days with a little invigorating exercise.

Along those lines, here's another interesting tip from 365 Ways to Save the Earth . . .

Use public bicycles in your city or create your own program.
For transportation in town, the bicycle has some unique advantages: it is clean, silent, compact, fast, and economical. The city of Rennes in France decided to make 200 bicycles available to its citizens, free of charge. Users must first obtain a magnetic card from the city council, which gives them access to the bicycles between the hours of 6 a.m. and 2 a.m. The bicycles must be returned after use to any one of the 25 pickup points provided all over the city. The system has been running since 1998 and has some 2,000 regular users.
read more here
Susan

0 comments: