Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Brookside housing

To be fair, I was very harsh.
From Huntsville Times


I am writing this letter in response to the article "Housing Authority shows plans for Lowe Mill area" published Oct. 28.

I am concerned about the impression this article gives when linking Lowe Mill - the artist community - with the Huntsville Housing Authority's plans to tear down the Brookside neighborhood.

I have worked at Lowe Mill for over three years and have driven my car or ridden my bike down Brookside Avenue hundreds of times on my way to work.

I have been greeted with waves and smiles by neighbors who are peaceful, quiet and longtime residents. I feel these lovely people are becoming the victims of injustice and gentrification.

I, myself (a white woman), have been asked if I would move to a house in the Lowe Mill neighborhood. In the past, I would have answered in the affirmative. It would be great to live close by and I enjoy working in the neighborhood.

However, as to whether I would move into a house in a newly developed Brookside - even if it meant convenience and being closer to my community - "NO!" I don't want to be a part of a "development" that will cause the exact opposite to occur to the majority of the former residents - inconvenience and loss of community and their homes.

Please note that there are those in the Lowe Mill community that seriously object to the plans for the Brookside community.
Grace E. Billiter
Huntsville, 35801

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've posted a comment about it here:

http://huntsvilledevelopment.blogspot.com/2009/09/housing-authority-shifts-to-lowe-mill.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Grace!

JR said...

thank you Grace for making it clear...I think a few of us were very harsh at first!!!

Leela the Kid said...

well said. glad to see in the paper and hopefully it will get more people speaking out.

Anonymous said...

Update on this here:
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/11/huntsville_housing_authority_l_2.html